The Clark Center for the Performing Arts is celebrating their 10th Anniversary! More than 30 years ago, Cliff and Mary-Lee Clark were at a musical program at the Arroyo Grande High School gymnasium when they were struck with the idea for the Clark Center. A group of dedicated community leaders, arts patrons and parents soon came together in order to raise the money to build a high-quality facility to serve children, local artists and community service groups.
In 1986, The South County Performing Arts Building Foundation was established and began a unique partnership with the Lucia Mar Unified School District in order to create a joint-use community and school facility on the site of the Arroyo Grande High School Campus. In 1999, construction began and was funded with the $9 million the Foundation raised through gifts from private citizens and supplemented by generous grants from the State of California, San Luis Obispo County, and the cities of Arroyo Grande, Pismo Beach, and Grover Beach. The Grand Opening of the Clark Center for the Performing Arts was held on May 10th, 2002.
The Clark Center’s 10th Anniversary Celebration will be held from May 2-May 12. Most events will be free of charge in order to enable as many community members as possible to participate in the festivities! The schedule is as follows:
- 5/2/12 – Business Open House/Mixer from 5-7pm. Light appetizers will be provided by the Arroyo Grande High School ROP Culinary Arts program and backstage tours will be given every half hour. This event is free and open to the public on a first-come, first-served basis.
- 5/3/12 – Family Movie Night featuring Finding Nemo at 6pm. The Arroyo Grande High School Technical Theater class will be selling concessions as a fundraiser. This event is free and open to the public on a first-come, first-served basis.
- 5/4/12 – Comedy Night in the Studio Theatre at 8pm. This event is free and open to the public on a first-come, first-served basis.
- 5/5/12 – Central Coast Performing Arts Showcase at 7pm. This event will feature local theatre and dance Studios. This event is free and open to the public on a first-come, first-served basis.
- 5/6/12 – Blue Steele US Air Force Band at 2pm. Blue Steel is the commercial, popular music ensemble of the United States Air Force Academy Band. These full time, active duty bandsmen perform high energy music from a variety of genres, and their versatility and dynamic stage presence enables them to tell the Air Force story to audience members of all ages. A BBQ Fundraiser will be held prior to the Concert. This event is free and tickets are available through the Box Office.
- 5/7/12 – Facility Tours 3:30-6:30pm. New Tours will begin every 30 minutes. This event is free and open to the public.
- 5/8/12 – Facility Tours 3:30-6:30pm. New Tours will begin every 30 minutes. This event is free and open to the public.
- 5/10/12 – Nipomo High School Dance – 7pm. NHS Dance presents their annual dance performance, Dance Til The World Ends. General Admission tickets are $10.
- 5/11/12 – Nipomo High School Dance – 7pm. NHS Dance presents their annual dance performance, Dance Til The World Ends. General Admission tickets are $10.
5/12/12 – 10th Anniversary Gala Celebration. The Clark Center Association and Clark Center founding members Judy & Hardy Hearn with Blanche Hollingsead will present a 10th Anniversary Fundraising Gala Celebration honoring the Clark Family and other founding donors at the Historic Santa Maria Inn at 5pm. Tickets are $95 or $950 for a Champagne table of 10 and includes dinner with complimentary wine and silent and live auctions. Black Tie is optional.
To purchase tickets, call (805) 489-9444 for tickets or come to the Clark Center Box Office at 487 Fair Oaks Avenue, Arroyo Grande.
For more information, or to purchase tickets online, visit the Clark Center website at www.clarkcenter.org.