Brothers James and Joe Halsell are on a roll as the Santa Maria Valley Chamber of Commerce’s 2015 Business of the Year. The recognition is the latest in a string of accolades. Last year, Halsell Builders was named the Sun Reader’s Poll “Best Builders” for northern Santa Barbara County, as well as the Home Builders Association of the Central Coast “Builder of the Year” Award.
James and Joe are brothers from a family of nine. They founded Halsell Builders with their father, Chuck, in 2002. Today, Chuck’s retired – but he left the business in good hands.
Halsell is a full service design and build company with their own design showroom in Santa Maria.
The Halsell name is a fixture in Santa Maria. The family has lived here for more than 45 years. And though James and Joe left for a while to hone their skills in the Bay Area, they came back home to raise their own families and be a part of the city’s redevelopment – investing themselves in the community which has given them so much.
Giving back is a part of how they do business. One of their first projects involved using their first profits to help a child and family in need. Since then, Halsell Builders has been a part of numerous charitable projects, including:
- Renovating a home for wheelchair accessibility for a local contractor who suffered a stroke.
- Remodeling homes for families in need.
- Adding a teen room for a wheelchair bound boy.
- Remodeling a teen center for St. Louis de Montfort Church.
- And contributing design work and construction management for a local woman injured in a motorcycle accident.
Halsell Builders exemplifies what it means to be a strong local business that demonstrates the qualities of good citizenship.