The City of Santa Maria’s Transit Division is encouraging the public to attend six open house meetings to share information about proposed changes to evening service, fare updates, and holiday service schedules. These meetings also are to receive public input for the Short Range Transit Plan, a document that evaluates customer service and fares, and unmet transit needs.
The public meetings will be held as follows:
- – Santa Maria Airport, Baggage Area: Wednesday, October 28th, 5:00 to 7:30 p.m.
- – Santa Maria Public Library, Shepard Hall: Monday, November 2nd, 5:30 to 7:00 p.m.
- – Transit Center, Indoor Waiting Area: Tuesday, November 3rd, 7:00 to 9:00 p.m.
- – Newlove Community Center: Friday, November 6th, 2:30 to 4:00 p.m.
- – Allan Hancock College Student Center: Tuesday, November 10th, 12:00 to 1:30 p.m.
- – Santa Maria Public Library, Shepard Hall: Wednesday, November 11th, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Copies of the Short Range Transit Plan are available on the City website, www.cityofsantamaria.org under Bus Routes & Schedules, and also are available at the Santa Maria Public Library, 421 S. McClelland Street.
Comments may also be emailed directly to Transit Manager Austin O’Dell at email@example.com, or faxed to (805) 928-4495, with the subject heading “SRTP comments.” The last day to submit comments is Wednesday, November 18th.
Transit services include Santa Maria Area Transit (SMAT) with 10 bus routes operating seven days a week, the Breeze intercommunity service, and SMAT paratransit service.
SMAT has not increased fares for its local bus service since 2004. The current cash fare is $1.25. The Breeze service began in 2005 and was expanded in 2013.
Questions may be directed to Transit Manager Austin O’Dell at 925-0951 ext. 480.