The 2017 Energy Efficiency and Sustainability Summit was held on August 16 at the Santa Maria Fairpark. Experts from Santa Barbara, Sacramento, San Francisco and Santa Maria presented different aspects of energy and sustainability to a crowd of officials, agencies and members of the general public.
The Summit was sponsored by the Santa Barbara County Energy Watch partnership and the Santa Maria Valley Chamber of Commerce.
The topics covered were varied and represented a diverse cross-section of energy and sustainability. They included:
– “After Diablo Canyon: California’s Energy Future” Presented by John Shoals, Local Public Affairs Representative, PG&E
– “Water Conservation: Preparing for the Next Drought” Presented by Tom Fayram, Deputy Director of Water Resources, County of Santa Barbara
– “Business Innovation Toward Sustainability: CalRecycle and RMDZ Program” Presented by Bruce Quigley, Supervisor, CalRecycle Loan Division
– “An Overview of Upcoming Statewide Energy Regulations” Presented by Martha Brook, P.E., Advisor to Commissioner McAllister, California Energy Commission
– “The Advantages of Solar Energy for Municipalities, Businesses and Residents” Presented by April Price, Renewable Energy Specialist, Community Environmental Council
– “Workforce Education and Training in CA’s Sustainable Energy Future” Presented by Bryce Dias, Senior Program Manager, WE&T, PG&E
– “What we can ALL do for Energy Efficiency and Sustainability” A Panel Discussion consisting of: Rion Landrum of Staples Energy, Frances Gilliland of the Green Business Program of Santa Barbara County, Marisa Hanson of emPower Central Coast, Jasmine Asuncion & Mariela Vazquez of American Eco, and Myra Ritchie of the City of Santa Maria Utilities Department.
In addition to the presentations, 14 agencies had display tables and were available for one-on-one conversations about available programs for energy efficiency and sustainability.
A special thanks to all who participated, attended and the staff of the Chamber of Commerce and the Energy Watch Partnership who organized the successful event.